Traveler’s Night In: Arts and Culture Edition
This week’s topic on Traveler’s Night In, a “tweet-up” for travelers, was Arts and Culture. Ten questions were asked, tagged #TNI, and afterwards I was ready to getting out my dancing shoes, paint brushes, and walking shoes to discover the art and culture in my city!
Here are the questions:
Q1. Art/music event that is worth traveling for?
- @travelgirlmag: Husband travels for Bonnaroo but I’m not a tent, dust, no-shower kind of gal so he goes alone.
- @katiey424 Oberammergau, Germany. Staged every 10 years, 7 hours long, 2000 residents of village perform. last one was 2010.
- @TheTrvlPrincess Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- @avventurosa Mozart festival in #Salzburg… Great music and a jumb back in Imperial
- @abaesel2 Nashville’s Country Music Festival 4 days in June. Issaquah, WA Salmon Days Festival 1st weekend in October
Q2. Favorite museum in the world? Why?
- @MalloryOnTravel The penis factory in Husavik, Iceland is recommended at least from the outside, never went in! It’s cool! http://bit.ly/hPS3kj
- @AllTravelSites I have always been a fan of the “please touch” types of museums while traveling with kids..
- @rtwdave Musee d’Orsay in Paris – former rail station & focus on Impressionism
- @1step2theleft Definitely, the #British Museum! Wonderful and… free… Beauty that you can see over and over again!
- @GoApril: A2 Everyone must go to Louvre once in their life. Its wonderful
- @ashleynorman07 My friend @McMedia said that the Museum of Sex was Anticlimactic
Q3. Film that gave you artistic inspiration? What destination?
- @travelerkate Lost in Translation- want to go to the Park Hyatt Tokyo bec of it! But La Dolca Vita made me want to find the Sweet Life in Rome
- @jasminewanders Vicky Christina Barcelona, Motorcycle Diaries (S America)
- @banff_squirrel: Forrest Gump. Just set a direction and keep on going. With a box of chocolates.
- @bikehiketravel Amélie – love the scenes of Paris in that movie. Montmartre, cafes, markets…
- @Kat_Raphael Yes! Makes me want to move to France and wear dresses… RT @Lorraine_TLA Q3: Love Amelie!
- @jasminewanders embarrassed to admit, but Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants – Greece ::blush::
Q4. Best body art you’ve seen? Which culture?
- @ashleynorman07 Māori face tattoos in New Zealand for sure!
- @AppetiteforLife Best body art/Which culture: A4 Mentawi of Siberut Island off W Sumatra. Linear body tattoos all over medicine men & wives
- @doubleadventure: On Jersey Shore
- @DEPagliaro San Quentin or Leavenworth prison tats. They mean so many things to law enforcement!
- @NETC_Travel Definitely henna in India. And the best thing is that you can change your look since they’re temporary!
Q5. Musician/Group you most want to see live? Where?
- @TravelBugTara: Bob Marley if I could go back in time, preferably in Jamaica.
- @CGTravels I just read this aloud and someone in my office shouted “YANNI AT THE PARTHENON!” um, fail.
- @lindseytravels Also, in a perfect world, The Beatles at The Cavern Club in Liverpool.
- @aventuresabdm: Pink Floyd when they were still together. The Wall show. And I dont care where!
- @MissMagpieFGS: U2 in Dublin (again)
Q6. 3 artists you’d invite to dinner? Why?
- @thecitizeny: 3 artists i’d invite to dinner: Frida Kahlo. Van Gogh. DaVinci.
- @ZipSetRachel: All my former (imaginary) boyfriends: Michelangelo, Leonardo DiCaprio and Cat Stevens.
- @Fun_N_Travel Paul McCartney, Bono and Sting. #boylicious!
- @StayAdventurous: . Hemingway for drinks, Michelin Chef frm Spain for food & someone like Casanova to discuss the art of the heart
- @mobilelawyer Check that. I’d like Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and a video camera.
Q7. Favorite show/play you’ve seen in your travels? Where?
- @kymri Shanghai Acrobats, hands down (and feet up!)
- @camorose: @Cirque de Soleil in Las Vegas! Probably the only reason I would go back to Vegas would be to see another one!
- @MidlifeRoadTrip: We got to dance with the cast of Lion King in Chicago
- @savvytravelblog Les Mis. London. What else can you say?
- @hjortur: A monologue from the Icelandic Viking sagas in a deserted fjord where it happened in the
- @StevenMTroy1: Traditional Cambodian Dance show in villiage outside Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Q8. Arts district you’d love to visit?
- @travelpology: A8. I’ve never been to the French Quarter in NOLA
- @Lorraine_TLA I keep hearing Asheville, North Carolina is an artsy place. I’d like to check it out.
- @GAT_ChinaTours Tian Zi Fang Art District in Shanghai. It’s a crazy maze of art stores and has the most interesting architecture.
- @traveldesigned: @StayAdventurous has blogged about a Puerto Vallarta Art Walk I wild love to do!! Did on in Cabo was FAB!! http://ow.ly/3HsMz
- @asmallplace The Alberta Arts District in #Portland, Oregon. The last Thursday of each month all the artists come to the streets.
Q9. Most unusual street art or performance you’ve seen?
- @Shipsandtrips: Asian-American student in kilt playing bagpipes on Dublin street corner said “thanks , dude” when I dropped money in basket
- @travelgirlmag Marching bands underneath our window in French Quarter, NOLA. At 2:00 a.m. And 4:30 a.m.
- @BridalTravelGuy fire eater on beach in Acapulco.
- @Roopunzel my friend being proposed to at Edinburgh festival during a street balloon swordfight
- @KWanderlust3 Fire dancers in Maui
- @EpsteinTravels: This guy/dog was the funniest busker I’ve seen…London in ’09 http://yfrog.com/h35i3jj
Q10. If you could have any artistic talent, what would it be? Why?
- @hugointhecity i wanna sing.
- @travelingsavage I wish I could play the Scottish fiddle because I’m in love with the sound
- @friedman_rachel Dance, dance, dance.
- @McMedia You are an Action Figure after all –>RT @RickGriffin: A10. Are superhero powers considered artistic abilities?
- @happy06295 My partner would of course be extremely handsome and my Tango skills would be amazing hahaha
Miss #TNI this week? Join in with your answers to the questions in the comments below and make sure to join us next Thursday from 3:30 pm EST- 5:00 pm EST for all the fun!
Thanks to the ZipSetGo girls for organizing a conversation with travelers from all over the world!
*All photos have prior approval, credited and linked. If you would prefer for your tweet not to be included, just let us know!