Traveler’s Night In: Travel Predictions 2011
This week’s topic on Traveler’s Night In, a “tweet-up” for travelers, was Travel Predictions 2011. Ten questions were asked, tagged #TNI, and afterwards I was ready to book my next trip based on all the smart guesses and travel tips! There were several trends that kept coming up today, #TNIer’s definitely want to travel, travel and oh, yeah, travel some more in 2011!
Here are the questions:
Q1. What stamp will you put on your passport this year?
- @born2boop I hope for a New Zealand stamp in my passport!
- @skiergrrl Stamps, I hope. Costa Rica. Russia. Indo. Vietnam. China..
- @rtwdave Japan, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina…
- @groundedtravelr United States.. will be going home on a new Passport.
- @GetPackedTravel Australia (5th time) plus new (for me) South Pacific islands of New Caledonia & Vanuatu — Yee hah !!
Q2. What is the future of travel technology? Digital safety?
- @CoTravelGirl I’d just like to be able to get online, anywhere, without crazy rates.
- @RickGriffin I’m kinda looking forward to Tractor Beaming – Star Trek style
- @OrlandoChris Digital safety? Sure, why not! Stick a chip in me!
- @leorawrs81: A2- The future is in allowing people to break down language and social barriers, like the new Word Lens app or Meetups
- @Leavetheiguana All luggage will be digitally identified and impossible to lose track of.
- @ZipSetRachel: A2. Hopefully the future holds a charger that will work on ALL my devices
Q3. Destination hot-spots/best deals for 2011?
- @amberdegrace I think Mexico will be a destination/deal hot spot in 2011
- @LandLopers I think South Africa and Colmbia will continue to be hot travel spots, affordable and dun
- @ travel_version Got a feeling #Iceland will be as big in 2011 as in 2010. Otherwise #Canada always welcomes travelers with open arms!
- @GoApril Well based on Q1 I think a hot spot for 2011 will be Iceland with the biggest Live #TNI ever
- @EpsteinTravels With hard-hitting recession in Ireland, it has the best priced 4 & 5-star hotels in western Europe
- @colmhanratty Vietnam – great cities, great beaches and lots more. And it’s cheap cheap cheap
Q4. What new gadget or travel app is a must-have for 2011?
- @cabopro And if you’re traveling for work, doing hotel presentations – the iPad reigns supreme
- @danthompson_TN A Sanho UDMA to backup all my pictures while I’m on the road! No more lost pictures!!
- @zwei2go: GPS enabled camera.
- @travelblggr New WordLens VT app looks promising.
- @kirsten_al: digital camera w/ video built in, iPhone
- @KatyHarrison20 non-tech related is virtual friends will meet up more. Bringing online to offline real life
Q5. Tips for friends traveling abroad in 2011?
- @SEASunDodger GET ON TWITTER!
- @roniweiss Always know the scams of the place you’re going. Wikitravel is a good resource.
- @candicewalsh: Don’t be a pansy-ass snob, stay in a hostel.
- @nataliewardel Don’t *not* do something because it is touristy. Don’t try to act too cool — you might just miss out!
- @AdventureBus Recommend – solo or small group travel to foster greater connection w/ culture, people, destination.
Q6. Be Nostradamus…give us your BIG travel prediction for 2011?
- @camorose Cheaper air fare! (Or is that just me being optimistic?)
- @MeganSterritt: People realize Mexico is safe & get back to it!
- @globaldish I predict you are going to take me somewhere wonderful. Preferably somewhere with great food and warm weather.
- @ nearafar I think there will be an increased use in social media and apps for traveling. Interesting to blogging effects continue
- @tifany74: More local travel. More giving back. Less “tourist traps” and more “off the beaten track.”
Q7. What #TNI themes would you like to see in 2011?
- @HotelHostess A #TNI dedicated to women’s travel!
- @banffrocks A photo #TNI. Worst haircuts received while traveling.
- @kelleyferro More specific themes, like “Spring Break Vacations” or “Getting to Know locals” or anything with food travel
- @avventurosa ‘Responsible tourism’ + ‘travel dreams’ + ‘fun facts’
Q8. What is the future of airport security? New airline fees?
- @SpudHilton Peep-show booths with quarter slots.
- @pamstuckytoo Airport sec. will be combined with bachelor parties. People will be boozed up so they don’t get upset by groping.
- @anis_salvesen The future of airport security -everyone gets milk and cookies and no one has to remove their shoes!
- @NewYorkGuest: The future of airport security is that it will force Amtrak to create better routes at better prices.
- @DaninAustralia I think we should all fly naked. That’d be the most secure way… surely? :-p
- @claudiabia I hope People stop making a big fuss abt it, bc is not going away anytime soon, so relax and enjoy your travels
Q9. How will social media impact the future of travel?
- @italylogue What was the buzz word at #phocuswright? Social + mobile = ‘mocial’ or something like that…
- @charthian Every child will have an iPad. Fact.
- @eurapart More people will get to brag about their trips than now
- @McMedia It’s creating a “World Without Borders”
Q10. What is your travel resolution for 2011?
- @benetwilson to travel more in 2011 than I did in 2010!! Can’t wait!!
- @rishegee 2010 was my big trip, 2011 will be about making small jaunts when possible just to keep the bug at bay.
- @OnAJunket To travel way more than last year.
- @MagellanPR to travel more & share good finds on Twitter and #tni – and to be less stressed by the officialdom you endure – go with the flow more
Miss #TNI this week? Join in with your answers to the questions in the comments below and make sure to join us next Thursday from 3:30 pm EST- 5:00 pm EST for all the fun!
Thanks to the ZipSetGo girls for organizing a conversation with travelers from all over the world!